Our Software Review Methodology
We’re a community of product people who believe that sharing our experiences, analyzing emerging trends, and discussing the latest and best tools is the key to building better products, better teams, and a better world. In fact, it’s the driving purpose behind every article, interview, and podcast we create.
When it comes to software, our aim is to provide useful, up-to-date reviews and information that help decision-makers compare and contrast their options. Choosing a new software tool that best matches your needs is not an easy task, not to mention narrowing down the thousands of options out there into a shortlist.
Our software reviews are designed to make this process easier by eliminating the endless research process and providing a single source of truth on all the software that product managers might use day-to-day.
What Makes Us Qualified?
We’ve been running our publication for 7 years and have worked with, heard from, and interviewed more than 150 product people. We work with an ever-expanding collective of product leaders, managers, owners, and entrepreneurs to keep a clear and leading-edge view of the current software landscape. As part of our process, we’ve researched and compiled over 2,000 software tools for different use cases, and written 45+ comprehensive software reviews. These reviews are regularly reviewed and updated to ensure we’re including the most latest and most advanced tools our industry has to offer.
How we test software and what criteria we look for:
We know that each company’s software needs are unique and depend on a variety of factors, all of which are taken into account in our stringent set of review criteria, outlined below. When considering which tools to include in our lists, our process might include any of the following:
- Speaking with the software company directly to better understand features and functionality
- Reviewing demos and free trials
- Testing key features (which differ by software type; key features for each software type can be found directly on that page)
- Noting key features that might be missing or not up to snuff
- Weighing what other users have to say (not including testimonials directly from the software company)
Here are the main criteria that we use to compare and contrast each software tool we look at:
- Usability: How intuitive the software is, and what resources are available to learn the tool
- Standout features: The quality and quantity of available features for a given plan, and their usefulness for the average market use case
- Reporting & analytics: The ability to store and analyze data through dashboards, reports, and visualizations
- Integrations: Whether the tool integrates with the rest of your existing tech stack, such as calendars, a CMS, databases, and communication tools
- Support: The level of support and resources offered for onboarding, training, engagement, and continued post-implementation success
- Price: Whether the price of the tool aligns with the value it offers
It’s our privilege to be your go-to source for information on the best software to support your career. To submit your tool for consideration on one of our lists, contact us at email@example.com.