Product requirement software enables your development team to document, analyze, prioritize, and agree on requirements, while also keeping track of changes and facilitating communication throughout the development process.
Read my review to discover the best product requirements software you can use in 2022. My review includes a brief description of every solution, screenshots, and a comparison chart so you can decide which of the featured tools would be a good fit for your team.
What do I look for when I select the best product requirements system? Here’s a summary of my evaluation criteria:
- User Interface (UI): I look for tools that offer a clean interface. Your team members shouldn’t waste your time trying to find the functionalities or information they need.
- Usability: I look for software anyone can use. Your staff should learn how to use most of the tool’s functionalities after going over the documentation or through a brief training period.
- Integrations: I look for solutions that integrate with the tools you’re already using, such as word processing software, communication solutions, analytics tools, project management platforms, customer support solutions, etc.
- Value for $: I look for software that gives you all the features you need to take your product from ideation to validation and ultimately to product release, so you get the most out of your investment.
Product Requirements Solution: Key Features
- Simple product requirements document creation: The software should help you create product requirement documents (PRDs) with ease, even if you rely on the Agile methodology and add the requirements to your backlog after sprints.
- Flexible requirement types: The solution should enable you to define multiple requirement types, so you can create hierarchical structures that are tailored to each product.
- Multiple reading views: You should be able to change your reading views, so you can switch to role-specific views or visualize the requirements in document format when necessary.
- Requirements management: The solution should allow you to create and manage requirement dependencies, link requirements to one another, and prioritize certain features.
- Requirements traceability: You should be able to track tasks, test cases and other items to requirements, so you can have an accurate picture of how the development process is going.
- Reporting: The solution should interpret data and generate reports, so you can present your success metrics to product managers, stakeholders, or clients.
- Notification and collaboration: The solution should enable your team members to communicate, collaborate, and receive notifications when project requirements have been updated.
The Product Manager is reader-supported. We may earn a commission when you click through links on our site — learn more about how we aim to stay transparent.
Overviews Of The 10 Best Product Requirements Software Solutions
Here’s a brief description of each product requirements app to showcase each tool’s best use case, some noteworthy features, and screenshots to give a snapshot of the user interface.
Craft.io is an end-to-end product management platform with best practices built in for everything product managers need. It provides product professionals with an all-in-one solution to effectively manage the entire lifecycle of their digital products, from feedback collection and feature definition to prioritization, capacity planning, road mapping, and portfolio management.
The software also enables product managers to establish a requirements management plan that you can apply from the beginning of the project. The software will ask you to identify the stakeholders, gather and analyze requirements, document and specify them, acquire sign-off, inform stakeholders about changes or updates, and manage the changes from roadmap to launch.
Craft.io integrates with Jira, Azure DevOps, GitLab, GitHub, Targetprocess, Teams, Slack, Dropbox, Okta, Google Workspace, Active Directory, SAML, Google Drive, Confluence, Salesforce, PingIdentity, and 1,000s of additional applications via Zapier.
ProductPlan is a flexible product management tool that can help teams build better products. The software successfully doubles as requirements management software and its color-coded interface makes it easy to create documentation hierarchies or links between different requirements.
One of the nice things about ProductPlan is that you can add tags to everything you do, so you can get relevant results every time you search for something. Every item you create can hold an incredible amount of details, which can help your team collaborate.
You can link wireframes and templates to your PRDs, explain how your changes would affect the target audience via comments, and add all sorts of items that might help your team create better products.
ProductPlan costs from $39/user/month. You can access a free 14-day trial.
ProductBoard is a project management solution with good requirements management capabilities. The software creates a centralized location for all your documentation, and it allows your team to collaborate and understand why some features are being prioritized.
This tool has a nice-looking interface and comes with built-in communication tools. You can share your screen to validate ideas with your team or show off your progress to stakeholders as you work.
ProductBoard displays information in real-time. You can set up custom alarms to receive notifications when your name or certain keywords are mentioned, making it easy to stay on top of what’s happening with your project.
One of the things that make ProductBoard stand out is its ability to collect user stories and feedback, organize them into problems, and build roadmaps based on them.
ProductBoard costs from $20/user/month. You can get a free 15-day trial.
Aha! is one of the most popular software development solutions available. The software doubles as a requirements management tool, and enables engineering teams to release great products with the help of requirements gathering, new feature prioritization, customer feedback, product requirements document templates, and progress tracking.
The solution has a nice-looking interface and an intuitive build, so you can navigate it with ease. You can create a strategy for every project, and connect your goals and initiatives to the work your team delivers. One of the great things about Aha! is that it enables you to customize almost everything.
This helps you create a work environment that matches your team’s workflow, terminology, and preferences. Aha! costs from $59/user/month.
The solution offers a free 30-day trial and you can also schedule a live demo.
Roadmunk is a project management platform and road-mapping tool that helps you organize your work. The software enables you to communicate your strategy in a visual manner, by placing it on a timeline roadmap, so your team knows what to prioritize next.
This solution offers built-in product management frameworks, so you can save time when starting a new project.
You use Roadmunk to collect insights from your users, team members, or stakeholders, and link the insights to product ideas in your backlog. You can then organize your ideas and schedule them into your roadmap, plan sprints, etc.
Roadmunk costs from $19/3 users/month. You can access a free 14-day trial.
Jama Connect is a requirements management tool that helps teams work together to deliver successful products. The software enables you to store your documentation requirements, risk assessments, tests, and defects in the same place, and create links between them.
This software helps your departments collaborate. Your staff can leave each other notes or reviews, so your content never has to leave the platform.
Team members can also create roadmaps between testing artifacts, test cases, defects, etc, so they can show auditors the connections between regulations, requirements, and tests.
Jama Connect offers custom pricing upon request. You can also see how it works in an online demo.
Helix RM is a requirements management software that creates a shared database for your requirements. The solution allows your team members to work on the most recent requirements, and you can organize (or reorganize) your document hierarchy in real-time.
Helix RM helps your team ensure consistency across multiple projects. The tool allows you to reuse requirements in different projects and you can import/export them in multiple formats. The solution also tracks and traces requirements throughout the application lifecycle, and you can link requirements to test cases, test results, source code, and other requirements.
HelixRM offers custom pricing upon request.
You can try out Helix RM as part of the free 30-day trial Perforce offers for Helix ALM. You can also see how it works in a live demo.
DevSpec is a product requirements management software that enables engineering teams to create and organize requirements, collaborate, and track everything they do. The solution also allows your product team to make marketing requirement documents (MRDs), so it helps multiple departments prepare for product launch.
This solution helps you understand what your team is doing. You can customize your dashboard to keep track of the important aspects of your project, view requirement relationships, and see how your changes will impact other features or functionalities.
With DevSpec, you can set up real-time notifications to stay up to date with the latest changes and log all your team’s activities for audit purposes. Team members can open chat sessions and leave notes to one another to keep each other in the loop.
DevSpec integrates with MS Word, and you can import/export your docs and create PRD templates.
DevSpec costs from $20/user/month. The software offers a 30-day free trial.
Aras is a requirements management tool that helps you create relationships between product requirements documents. The software offers good traceability capabilities, and it allows you to perform detailed requirements analysis.
This solution has a simple, low-code build that’s similar to that of a word processor. When you create a document hierarchy, related requirements show up as chapters you can edit. This helps you eliminate confusion and implement a structured requirements creation process for all your projects.
The software automatically maintains traceability, and you can set up different rules depending on your project or necessities.
Aras offers custom pricing upon request. You can also access a demo.
R4J is a native requirements management add-on you can use in Jira. The solution enables your staff to collaborate and communicate throughout the product development lifecycle. This software is easy to use, and Jira administrators can configure it to their liking.
With R4J, you can create a hierarchical structure for your documentation, track the evolution of your requirements, and ensure traceability.
R4J can help you reduce time to market by allowing you to reuse requirements from other projects. You can import and export requirements to different formats, and the software integrates with Microsoft Excel, so your team can edit .csv files.
R4J pricing starts from $10/10 users/year. The solution offers a free 30-day trial.
10 Best Product Requirements Software Solutions Summary
14-day free trial
|From $49/month/user||Visit Website|
14-day free trial
|From $39/user/month||Visit Website|
15-day free trial
|From $25/user/month||Visit Website|
30-day free trial
|From $59/user/month||Visit Website|
14 days free trial
|From $19/3 users/month||Visit Website|
Free 30 days trial
|Pricing Upon Request||Visit Website|
|Pricing Upon Request||Visit Website|
30 days free trial
|From $20/user/month||Visit Website|
|Pricing Upon Request||Visit Website|
30 days free trial
|From $10/10 users/year||Visit Website|
Need expert help selecting the right Product Management Software?
We’ve secured a partnership with the software comparison platform Crozdesk.com to assist you in finding the right software. Crozdesk’s Product Management Software advisors can create a personalized shortlist of software solutions with unbiased recommendations to help you identify the solutions that best suit your business's needs. Through our partnership you get free access to their bespoke software selection advice, removing both time and hassle from the research process.
It only takes a minute to submit your requirements and they will give you a quick call at no cost or commitment. Based on your needs you’ll receive customized software shortlists listing the best-fitting solutions from their team of software advisors (via phone or email). They can even connect you with your selected vendor choices along with community negotiated discounts. To get started, please complete the form below:
These didn’t make the top list but they are still worth checking out.
- monday.com - Customizable project management app with requirements management capabilities
- Craft.io - Product development tool with requirements management and a unique prioritization engine
- Aqua ALM - Application lifecycle management tool with product requirements solutions built in
- QVscribe - Analyze requirements documents for errors and vulnerabilities
- Visure Requirements - Automated capture of requirements from MS Word, MS Excel, ReqIF, and other sources
- Innoslate - Model-based systems engineering and requirements management
- ReqSuite RM - AI-powered, intuitive and customizable requirements management software
- Process Street - Free requirements management for recurring checklists and procedures (1 user, 1 workflow)
- Doc Sheets - Enterprise requirements and lifecycle management software with traceability features
- RequirementsHub - Tools to gather, evaluate, and produce IT, software, or services requirements
- SpiraTest - Integrated requirements management and QA software solution
- Cradle - Agile tool for loading, creating, inter-linking and publishing requirements information
What Is Product Requirements Software?
Product requirements software are tools that help teams document, analyze, prioritize, and agree on product requirements. They enable product development teams to store all their product requirements documents in one place, create links between documents and other items, while also keeping track of changes and allowing team members to communicate throughout the development process.
Improve Your Releases With Product Requirements Software
Product requirements software can help you launch competitive products. As Ravi Goyal or Sureline Systems said,
“The tech world is one of the most dynamic markets. That means even if a solution was perfect for one project, it might not be fresh enough for the other. You have to get creative and innovative with every new project's roadmap in order for it to correspond with the requirements of that individual project.”
By keeping your data organized and creating links between customer feedback and product requirements, the software makes it easier to launch something your users would love.
You can learn more about the different aspects of product lifecycle management on our blog. Subscribe to the Product Manager newsletter if you want to receive tips on product management from top thinkers in the industry directly in your inbox.
- Top 15 Product Feature Prioritization Frameworks: Which Is Best?
- 6 Stages Of The Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Software Release Life Cycle (SRLC): Understand The 6 Main Stages
- How To Write Effective Software Release Notes That Delight Users
Also Worth Checking Out: