Landing a product management internship is not always easy, but there are lots of great companies looking for enthusiastic people.
If you are hoping to get into the product management field, there are some great opportunities at some high-end companies. A product management internship may be open to you at a company you would never have thought of.
Below is a list of companies that have internships available and that also get good reviews from the people they hire for those positions. They treat their interns well while offering a great paid learning opportunity.
1. Meta (formerly Facebook)
Meta runs internship programs in many countries outside of the United States including Canada, Switzerland, and in the UK as well as remote internship programs. Most of the available positions are in research (for their AI platform, 3D Vision, and Signal Processing departments) but they also have spots specifically for aspiring Product Managers.
- Full-time internship
- On-site: Menlo Park or Seattle
- Minimum Qualifications: Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a Bachelor's or Master's degree
Tesla is probably the biggest name on this list and they have a roster of global internship programs to match. Departments in which they offer internships include (and are not limited to): Operations & Business Support, Supply Chain, Engineering & Information Technology, Legal & Government Affairs, Construction & Facilities, Sales & Customer Support, HR, and Design. The list of over 100 internship opportunities is definitely worth taking the time to carefully go over.
- Majority of the internship programs are full-time and set to start in the Fall of 2022 (August or September)
- On-site: Amsterdam, Berlin, California, Japan, Texas, New York, Florida, Ohio, Georgia, Oregon, Washington, Paris, Brandenburg, and Illinois.
- Qualifications vary per program
Siemens has been around since 1847 and is currently the leading global software company. Internship opportunities at the company are limited and highly sought after. For someone in product management, you will want to check this program out: Strategic Student Program: Cloud Software Portfolio Management.
- Starts in Fall of 2022
- On-site: Shoreview, Minnesota
- Minimum Qualifications: Currently enrolled as a University Masters student with a minimum 3.0 GPA
Learn from the industry leader in tools, storage, and security services through their Early Careers internship programs. Their internships offer hands-on learning for enrolled college students. Put your textbook knowledge to use on real-world assignments while also getting the chance to network and grow your professional connections.
- 10 Weeks in the Summer of 2022
- On-site: Oregon
- Minimum Qualifications: 3rd or 4th year university student studying mechanical or manufacturing engineering
Passion for innovation is a requirement to be able to intern at Apple. They offer internships in many departments but one worth looking into to jumpstart your career in product management is this one: Product Design, Mechanical Engineering and Materials. Becoming an intern means: you will help to create the next generation of the world's finest hardware devices. You will conceive, design, and bring into production products that will re-define user experience. You will work closely with many different multi-functional teams including Industrial Design, Packaging, Safety, Hardware Engineering, EMC, and Marketing.
- September 2022 to September 2023
- On-site: Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino), California, United States
- Minimum Qualifications: Working toward BS, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or similar degree
Samsung is a Korean company that happens to be one of the biggest producers of devices such as TVs, smartphones, wearable devices, tablets, cameras, digital appliances, network systems, medical devices, semiconductors and LED solutions. They offer a number of internships including one on Consumer Market Insights. Here you will be tasked to make sure that the voice of the Gen-Z consumer is fully understood and represented in business decision making and strategic planning.
- On-site: Ridgefield Park, New Jersey
- Minimum Qualifications: Must be enrolled in an accredited University and maintain a 3.0 or higher GPA
Microsoft doesn't offer quite as much internship opportunities as the others on this list and their qualifications are admittedly high. To get in, you'll have to make sure you are more than just academically qualified but also have a passion for fresh ideas and perspectives. Find out if you're the intern they need for their Computer Vision program.
- On-site: Redmond in Washington, New York in New York, and Cambridge in Massachusetts
- Minimum Qualifications: Currently pursuing a PhD in Computer Science or similar (mathematics, EE, etc.) and will have a minimum of one quarter, semester or term to complete after finishing an internship
If you are looking to get your foot in the door while you are in school, finding a product management internship is really helpful. There are many companies both large and small that have great programs to help you build up your CV as well as teaching you the ropes of your chosen profession. You may ask how to get an internship with no experience but in reality, you don’t need practical experience for some of them. There is generally some expectation that you will be in school or are finishing up a related program. Some are looking for BA’s and others require master’s degrees. Some companies will even help you get graduate degrees while doing an internship.
Many companies pay well, mentor, and teach many of the things you need in the business world when it comes to being a product development intern. A quick search of good internship opportunities helps you find one near you or somewhere around the globe to enhance your experience. If you are just starting out, the more info you have, the better the opportunities you can find.
New to The Product Manager?
Sign up for The Product Manager Newsletter to get fresh insights from product management pros so you can lead better product teams and build better products.
Lists of Related Tools: