You're a product manager or product leader, and you've been tasked with creating a product vision statement. You know what a vision statement is, the difference between a product vision and a product strategy, and you've even read a few examples of good ones. But now you're stuck.
You're not sure where to start or what to include. You don't want to create something that's too vague or too specific. And you definitely don't want to produce something that won't be useful or won't be used.
Don't worry! This simple how-to guide will walk you through the process of creating a product vision statement that's perfect for your team and your product.
What Is a Product Vision Statement?
A product vision statement is a document that outlines the high-level goals of a product. It's written for product managers, CEOs, and other stakeholders who are trying to get a clear understanding of the product's goals and objectives.
A good vision statement should be clear, concise, and motivational. It should inspire the team to build a great product that meets the needs of the customer.
Who Is a Product Vision Statement For?
A product vision statement is not just for the product managers and leaders. It's for everyone in the company. The vision statement informs and guides everyone—from the engineers who are building the product to the sales team who is selling it.
That's why it's important for everyone to have a voice in creating the vision statement. It's a way to make sure that everyone is on the same page and understands the company's goals for the product.
Why Is a Product Vision Statement Important?
A product vision statement is an extremely important document for a product team. It lays out the team's goals and objectives for the product, and provides a roadmap for how to get there. It's also a key communication tool for stakeholders, and can help to rally the team around a common goal.
There are many reasons why it's important to have a well-written vision statement. Here are just a few:
1) It provides clarity and purpose for the product team.
2) It helps to ensure that everyone is working towards the same goal.
3) It serves as a communication tool for stakeholders.
4) It can help to rally the team around a common goal.
Examples of Good Product Vision Statements
There are a lot of great examples out there, but here are a few of my favorites:
Apple: "To make a valuable contribution to society by creating innovative products that improve the quality of people's lives."
Nike: "To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete in the world."
Starbucks: "To establish Starbucks as the premier purveyor of the finest coffee in the world while maintaining our uncompromising principles as we grow."
When you're creating your own statement, it's important to keep these things in mind:
-Your statement should be clear, concise, and inspiring.
-It should be tailored to your specific product and audience.
-It should reflect your company's values and mission.
-It should be aspirational, and encourage your team to strive for excellence.
How to Create a Product Vision Statement?
Now that you understand what a product vision statement is, and why it's important, it's time to learn how to create one of your own. Here are a few simple steps to help you get started:
1. Start by brainstorming what you want your product to achieve. What are its key benefits? What problem does it solve?
2. Once you have a good idea of what you want your product to achieve, try to capture it in one sentence or phrase.
3. Make sure your statement is something that everyone on your team can agree on. It should be clear and concise, and it should inspire your team to work together towards a common goal.
4. As you're creating your product vision statement, keep in mind the target audience for your product. What needs does your product satisfy? What are the unique benefits it offers?
5. Finally, be sure to keep your product vision statement updated as your product evolves. As your company grows and changes, so will your statement.
Creating a product vision statement can seem daunting, but it's an important step in creating a product that meets the needs of your customers. Follow these simple steps to create a vision statement that will help you focus your efforts and guide your team to success.